Tuesday 8 March 2011

Tuesday 8th March 2011 Miserden, Glos

This was a solo walk of just over 6 miles starting at the village of Miserden and including the villages of Duntisbourne Abbots and Winstone.


Carpenters Arms
I drove to Miserden via Birdlip and Whiteway, parking near the Carpenters Arms pub on a crisp sunny morning. I passed the tree with the seats around it and passed between houses where the signpost shows the path, continued with a stone wall to my left which quickly becomes the boundary wall of the Miserden Estate - large greenhouses can be seen on the left. 


I crossed a road and went across arable farmland, following a well defined path which heads left before entering woodland where the path becomes somewhat steeper veering to the left at the bottom of the incline, following a stream. I crossed the stream via the footbridge, crossed the meadow and started to climb the track which levels out and continues to the picturesque village of Duntisbourne Abbots. 


I followed the road towards Birdlip then joined a footpath towards Winstone where I again left the road and went across fields to Gaskill's Farm.


Miserden Park Lake
Passing the farm, I was quickly at the lodge, the entrance to the estate and followed the drive until I joined a grassy, muddy path going downhill. This quickly became very muddy and very steep until I arrived at the bottom and saw the lake. I kept to the left of the lake, joined a rough track left and started to climb up the other side of the hill along a sunken muddy cart track before joining the road again. There were great views of the estate and especially the lake and Miserden Manor from the vantage point. I quickly rejoined the main road and found the pathway back to Miserden village, declining to stop at the Carpenters on this occasion.


















An OS view of the walk is below, courtesy of QUO digital mapping/OS:



No comments:

Post a Comment