Friday 4 March 2011

Monday 28th February 2011 Penzance & Mousehole, Cornwall

I caught the 07:22 train from Cheltenham Spa and arrived at 12:42 in Penzance via Exeter St Davids. I then started walking along the sea front towards Newlyn on my way to the Ship Inn at Mousehole pronounced "Mowzel". The walk takes you quickly past the centre of Penzance on the right, along the sea front to the harbour and docks area in the older part of the city. 


The Dolphin Tavern
I walked around the docks and towards the pier. The ferry to the Scilly Isles leaves from here, when the service starts up in March for the summer season. I called in at the Dolphin Tavern, a famous old pub with a lot of history. In 1585 the tavern served as John Hawkin's HQ, recruiting Cornishmen to fight in the Armada, Sir Walter Raleigh is thought to have smoked the first pipe of tobacco in England here, and the tavern was used as a courtroom for centuries following. Unfortunately I found the pub more of a tourist eating joint, smelling of chips, but I did linger for a nice pint of Tribute (St Austell Brewery)!


The Dolphin Tavern, Penzance


Newlyn Harbour
From the Dolphin, I headed along the seafront, towards Newlyn, famous for its fishing fleet & fresh fish. I wished I had had the opportunity to buy fish to take back to Cheltenham! However, onwards and I rounded the harbour and started walking uphill along the south western coastal path on my way to Mowzel and maybe another Tribute. It was a pleasant walk along the coastal path, passing the now abandoned Penlee Lifeboat Station and heading towards Mowzel. For those not familiar with events of 1981 & the heroics of the Penlee crew, please look at the following link:


The Penlee Lifeboat Disaster 1981
Mowzel Harbour


Mowzel is one of Cornwall's most picturesque hamlets; a stunning collection of yellow-lichened houses, built from the local finely grained Lamorna granite, huddled together around the inner edge of the harbour - protected from the force of the sea coming across Mounts Bay by two sturdy breakwaters. I checked in at the Ship Inn (had that pint of Tribute!) and then had a quick look round the village. It is very quaint & picturesque as the tourist blurb says and was even nicer as there were no other folks around. Sunny but cold as February should be.


The Ship Inn, Mousehole


I ate well at the Ship (Hake with tarragon sauce etc.), slept well and was ready for the rigours of the day after a good breakfast!




The Ship Inn
Mowzel Harbour






















An OS view of the walk is below, courtesy of QUO digital mapping/OS:





No comments:

Post a Comment