Friday 4 March 2011

Tuesday 1st March 2011 Mousehole & Sennen Cove, Cornwall

Lands End Signpost
After a good breakfast, I caught the 08:36 501 bus from Mousehole to Penzance where I checked the return train times and then connected with the 09:40 506 bus (free using senior concession card!) on to Lands End, a journey of around 55 minutes along very narrow lanes via the centre of Penzance, Sheffield, St Buryan and then the A30 main road.




Coastal Path towards Sennen Cove

At Lands End you are greeted by a collection of Disneyesque concrete bunkers (Cornish Pantry, Cornish Pasties, Pirate Adventureland...) on what is clearly marked as 'Private Land'. Not a welcoming site and of course in Feb/March, all closed up. I persevered and walked through the site to the cliffs, saw the famous sign post and kept going beyond Lands End towards the coastal path again. This was far more rewarding and I was quickly enjoying the bracing (!) walk with the cliffs and dramatic coastline on my left. I stopped regularly to take photographs and was quickly moving away from the concrete bunkers towards the more rewarding sight of Sennen village and Sennen Cove. You'll see my confused walk on the map below, showing my turnaround. I reached Sennen Cove via the old Coastguard Station and decided to walk back to Lands End to catch the bus for my return train journey. However, as I got about half way there, I remembered that there seemed to be nowhere open to get a sandwich or anything to eat for lunch - so I turned and headed into Sennen Cove once again. 
Towards Lands End

I followed the houses at the top of the hill, eventually finding a footpath to take me to the shoreline, the lifeboat station and the pub! I checked the bus timetable and then went on to the Old Success pub where I had crab soup and a crayfish tail sandwich - very nice!


The Old Success, Sennen Cove

Sennen Cove
I had now finished walking, but only 4 miles done! I caught the 12:47 bus back, connected with the 14:00 Penzance to Paddington train and was in Cheltenham at 19:12 via Plymouth.












An OS view of the walk is below, courtesy of QUO digital mapping/OS:



No comments:

Post a Comment